Tis the season for holiday parties, which begs the question: What do I bring? Don't fret, we've got you covered with our savory Brussel Sprouts Recipe courtesy of Chef Zoller.
Fish Caramel Ingredients
- 5 shallots, thinly shaved
- 2 bulbs garlic, minced
- 2 heads lemon grass, outer stem removed, pounded with the back of a knife and very finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro stems, thinly sliced
- 5 Thai chilies, finely minced
- 1 bottle fish sauce*
- 3 limes, juiced and zested
- 32 ounces palm sugar
(*Note: Have open ventilation when working with fish sauce- it can be pungent)
- In a medium sized pot sweat down the shallot, garlic, lemongrass, cilantro stems and Thai chilies in a neutral oil until they become translucent.
- Add fish sauce and reduce by half (this is the part that doesn’t smell very good)
- Once the fish sauce is reduced, add your palm sugar, let reduce until a thick consistency is achieved. Once the sauce has cooled completely fold in the lime juice and zest.
All together with Brussel Sprouts:
- Simple cut the root off the Brussel Sprouts and cut them in half.
- At TRACE we fry them, but if you toss them in oil and bake them at 400 for 10-12 minutes then toss them in the fish caramel you’ll get a similar result.